Saturday, July 10, 2010

Late night snack

Rice Krispie Treats with Peanut Butter & Chocolate

Matt and I had a "date" night last night.  I made vegetarian Sloppy Joe's, and we watched "Friday Night Lights."  Big night out for us, right?  After dinner, we were both looking for something sweet, so I started looking through the most recent issue of Martha Stewart's Everyday Food.  On the very last page, she had this recipe, and I just happened to have all the ingredients!  I've googled this recipe and couldn't find it for you all, so I thought I'd share with you here.  It comes together very quickly...if you can make Rice Krispie Treats, you can make these. 

Ingredients:
3 tbsp. unsalted butter, plus more for baking dish
4 cups miniature marshmallows (I only had regular marshmallows  on hand and it seemed to work fine)
1/3 cup creamy peaut butter, preferably natural
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
Non-stick cooking spray or vegetable oil, for pressing
1 package (12 oz) semisweet chocolate chips, melted
1/4 cup chopped, roasted & salted peanuts

Directions:
Butter an 8-inch square baking dish.  In a large pot, combine marshmallows, peanut butter, butter, and salt.  Cook over medium, stirring, until melted, about 4 minutes.  Add ceral and stir to combine.  With a wooden spoon (I used a rubber spatula...no difference) greased with cooking spray or oil, press half the cereal mixture into dish.  Spread half the melted chocolate on top.  Repeat with remaining cereal mixture and chocolate; sprinkle with peanuts.  Cut into small squares and enjoy! 



I stuck the dish in the freezer for a few minutes to set up so we could eat them right away! 


Since we were impatient and wanted them asap, these were SUPER gooey and messy.  Seriously.  I looked like a  toddler eating birthday cake. 


No comments:

Post a Comment