Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Happy Fourth of July

Lemon Cupcakes

My brother and sister-in-law were nice enough to host breakfast and lunch/dinner on Sunday.  I offered to bring a dessert, but I wanted something that would be refreshing on a  HOT summer day.  I've been trying to bake my way through Martha Stewart's Cupcake cookbook, so I found her Lemon Meringue Cupcakes recipe.  I changed it a little though because I didn't feel like making the 7 Minute Frosting.  I made the Swiss Meringue Butter Cream instead.  It was also my first time making Lemon Curd.  I was a little intimidated, but it was so simple!  These cupcakes were delicious.  Her recipe is very similar to her buttermilk cupcakes, but with a lemon twist.  YUM!


Can you see that beautiful lemon curd?  Its tartness really tasted great with the butteriness (is that a word?) of the frosting.


A word to the wise...these cupcakes do not travel well, especially on hot days.  They sort of slid...oops.


I found these liners in the dollar bin at Michael's.  They are from Paula Deen's line.  So cute.


This is Sammy.  Her mommy regularly reads this blog, and I thought she'd love to see Sammy's picture up of her eating the cupcakes!  So stinkin' cute.

2 comments:

  1. I am going to make these this weekend for a work party! Do you think the lemon curd could be made with limes instead?

    ReplyDelete