Sunday, January 30, 2011

Happy Birthday, Aunt Arlene!

A birthday cake for my "Summer Mom."


I spent many summers during my high school and college years living with my Aunt Arlene at the beach in Long Beach Island.  She has been affectionately known as my "Summer Mom" ever since.  We had dinner at her house to celebrate, and my uncle asked me to bring a chocolate cake.  I decided to to pull out the Magnolia cookbook again, and I used the Devil's Food Cake recipe and the Chocolate Buttercream recipe.  I think it turned out pretty decent.  There wasn't much left of it at the end of the night, so I'll take that as a good sign.  I wanted to keep the cake simple but pretty...


I want to use this picture as proof that the cake was straight at one point.  I slipped on some ice in my driveway and the cake slid a little bit.  By the time I got to my aunt and uncle's house, the cake was a little bit like the Leaning Tower of Pisa. 


I am going to be helping my friend with desserts for her daughter's birthday in March, and i wanted to try out some flowers with fondant.  I like the way this one turned out.  I think I might try my hand at gumpaste over the next month...

Happy Birthday, Aunt Arlene, and thanks for a great dinner, Uncle Walt!  Love you both.




1 comment:

  1. Alison,
    You are great, thanks for a beautiful, delicious cake. Thanks for making my birthday celebration so special. It's wonderful to have the family around the table and sharing good food. Sorry, Matt, that you weren't feeling well. Hope that you are up and running....Good thing you took a picture of the cake, nothing remains, not even a crumb. Ah, 29, again!
    A.A.

    ReplyDelete