Friday, April 23, 2010

Happy 2nd Birthday, Holly!

Holly and her ducks...

Two years ago today, my cousins, Karl and Claudine, gave birth to the adorable Holly.  Five weeks early, she was a little bit of a surprise, but she was strong and alert since day one.  She has grown into a curious and lovable toddler.  I enjoy my Holly-days and am hoping to have more of them this summer.  Even though I'm going to have to miss her birthday party, I wanted to make sure I made her cupcakes for the party tomorrow.  Holly loves her ducks; therefore, it is the theme of the party. 


I made basic yellow cake and fudge chocolate cake recipes, and Martha Stewart's fluffy vanilla icing. 



I used blue spray food coloring to lightly tint the icing then topped the icing with white sugar pearls to look like water and bubbles.  Then I made chocolate ducks out of a mold I found at a local candy and bake shop. 



I had some left over chocolate batter, so I decided to make a small cake for Holly to blow out her 2 candles and devour.  I used a 6 inch square cake pan then carved a duck shape out of it.  It sort of looks more like a chick, but it'll have to do.  I hope she likes it! 

3 comments:

  1. wow, alison you have truly out done yourself! they look to cute to eat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alison,
    The cupcakes were beautiful and delicious! Holly LOVED her own special duck cake. She ate almost all of it! Thank you for helping us make little Holly's ducky party extra special. We love you!

    Holly's mommy

    ReplyDelete