Monday, May 31, 2010

Grammy's Chocolate Cookies

Happy Memorial Day!

I don't know if you can tell, but I'm on a cookie kick lately.  I've been wanting to try out some new recipes.  Today was no different.  We've been home from the beach since yesterday afternoon with no real plans for the day so I thought I'd try a recipe from Martha Stewart's Cookie Cookbook...Grammy's Chocolate Cookies.  These are delicious and simple to make.  The dough requires refrigeration for an hour, so don't make them if you are in a rush.  I thought I'd share the recipe with you, since I really thought they were delicious.  This recipe is a great "go-to" recipe since most bakers having all of the ingredients already in their pantry...

Ingredients:

2 cups plus 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Sanding sugar, for rollings

1. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a bowl.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.  Add eggs and vanilla, and beat to combine.  Reduce speed to low, and gradually add flour mixture; beat to combine.  Form dough into a flattened disk, wrap with plastic wrap, and chill until firm, about an hour.
3.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch balls (I used a 1 inch cookie scoop).  Roll each ball in sanding sugar.  Place on baking sheets lined with parchment paper  (I used silpats), about 1 1/2 inches apart.  Bake until set, 10 to 12 minutes (I baked 9-10 since my cookies were smaller). 




These cookies are chewy and sweet.  As much as I'd like to eat a ton of them, they are so rich that one or two hit the spot.


I put them in my cookie jar, which I hope to use more often.  My dream is to be that mom who always has fresh baked cookies in her cookie jar.  Someday...



1 comment:

  1. I made these at Christmas - yummy! If I had time to make cookies that weren't for a special occasion - these would be the ones I would make all the time :)

    ReplyDelete