Sunday, September 11, 2011

E-A-G-L-E-S...EAGLES!!!!

The Eagles first regular season game was today, and Matt invited his dad and brother over to watch the game.  After searching through some magazines, cookbooks, and blogs, we came up with a menu that sounded delicious but simple.  I'm really enjoying trying out new recipes lately, but Matt also made a request for something I only made a week ago....Cream of Mango Soup.  I didn't snap a pic, but I'm sure you remember it from last week...

Next, Matt found a recipe for Parmesan Potato Skin Chips on Eatingwell.com.  He had me at Parmesan...These were really delicious.  Much lighter than traditional potato skins.


What is a football game without wings?  We decided to try to switch it up a little, and found a recipe for Sweet & Sour Chicken Wings in Martha Stewart's Everyday Food Magazine.  Matt said that these were pretty good...I'll take his word for it.


We also wanted to make something as a "main" dish.  Flipping through my cookbooks, I found a recipe for Individual Chicken Potpies from my Newlyweds Cookbook (give to me by our friends, Maureen & Andy, for our engagement.  Funny enough, they had their second little girl today, Hadley Ann!)  The recipe suggests cutting out monograms for the potpies, but I found a cookie cutter in the shape of an Eagle...usually, I make the desserts themed, but today, even the main course was themed!  I was suprised at how easy this was to make.  The recipe actually yeilded six of these, but I froze two for a future dinner for Matt and I...



For dessert, I wanted to use up the Hazelnuts that I had bought the previous week for the Gooey Chocolate Hazelnut cupcakesMartha Stewart's Baking Handbook had a recipe for Hazelnut Chocolate Biscotti.  My father is the king of biscotti making, and I've been nervous to try making my own because I knew they wouldn't be as good as his.   I figured this recipe might be the way to go since they are a different flavor than he usually makes.  As good as these were, they weren't my dad's....



Overall, the meal was delicious, and the Eagles won. 

Finally, I want to say thank you to all of those who serve and have served our country and protect us on a daily basis, epecially...

My brother, Jimmy
My sister-in-law, Abby
My brother-in-law, Louis
My cousin-in-law, Jon
My friend, Mike

Also, to all of the firemen who run in burning buildings when everyone else is running out, especially my father, Chief John McGrath.

We will never forget...9.11.01


No comments:

Post a Comment